Advent 3: J.O.Y

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people."
An Angel 
Image result for Picture of The Joy Candle highlighted
Fearful People Pointed To Joy.
I don't know about you, but I haven't heard or seen any angels lately.  So, I have to tell you  that, if I had been one of those shepherds watching over their flock at night, and a Heavenly Choir had appeared, I doubt very seriously that I would be anything but afraid ... even if some celestial type were trying to settle me down.  As a matter of fact, just that Angel talking to me might have been just a little bit disconcerting. Joy would not be anywhere near my emotional quotient.  Perhaps that is why this Messenger of God (Angel) tried to calm them down. He sure would have to do something for me before I could hear anything.
Nevertheless, having admitted to this weakness of mine, the message from this messenger is quite clear once he got the shepherds past the fear: I am bringing you good news, and this good news is going to have one powerful impact on the world.  Once this news gets out, and actually sinks in to the lives of people, worldwide joy will be available for all who would receive the news and believe the news.  While I am sure there are skeptics regarding this, I am here to tell you this is NO "Fake News."
J.O.Y
What is "Joy?"  I have heard that joy = Jesus first, Others second and Yourself last.  I do NOT accept this. This concept is certainly NOT biblical.  I am thinking about the second greatest commandment.  You know this commandment.  I hope you do: "Love your neighbor as yourself."  This ancient wisdom, which Jesus himself endorsed, tells us we are to love others using the same love we have for ourselves.  In other words, we are to first love ourselves, and then impart that love God gave us for ourselves to others.  As I have grown older, wisdom has taught me that, if you don't love yourself, there is NO way you can love others. Indeed, its very difficult to even receive love if you don't have self love.
The Mask Of Love
A good illustration of this ancient wisdom can be seen when flying:  The Flight Attendant instructs passengers on safety.  In doing so, this attendant eventually gets to talking about oxygen masks that fall down from above during an in flight emergency.  The instruction given simply says, "If you have children with you, first put the oxygen mask on yourself and then put one on your child."  The self care/self love of the adult is expressed, and then love is given to the child.  To do otherwise could mean tragedy. If you fail to put the mask on yourself, and you pass out, both you and the child may die.  It's that simple.  You are loving your child by taking care of yourself (loving yourself) first. Loving yourself first, is not a selfish concept because it is a God given concept.  Yes, Jesus should be first; however, life comes when imparted love to the individual, is shared based on the self love received from the Creator.
Some of you who know me know I like the acrostic being explained this way:  Jesus Occupying You.  Jesus means "Save."  He is the savior.  Occupying means HE takes you over and occupies your life after you deny yourself, take up the Cross and follow Him.  You are thoroughly impacted by this. As you breathe in God's eternal life, you become an eternal heir of God's Kingdom and family and more! You become a new creation,  minister of reconciliation and an ambassador of Christ. All of the old brokenness and sin in you is gone. A new life, true life, enters you. The life you live in the body is now lived by the faith of the Son of God who loves you and gave Himself for you. You become apart of God's family.  You become part of God's own Royal Priesthood. You are brought out of bondage to sin and death into the freedom of life and hope. And the list goes on and on and on! It works like this Jesus occupies you first, and you help others come to know Jesus who will then occupy them and so on.
It's real easy to become occupied with all kinds of "stuff" in this modern age of technology; however, the best choice you could make for you, and those around you, is to get fully occupied by the Son of God Himself: Let Jesus Occupy You today  and everyday.  You will be glad you did. So will those to whom you impart God's love.

SoJourner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American & "Pride"

We Can Be So Much More.

W A T C H O U T ! ! ! JESUS TEACHING ON LEADERS