Heart Talk: "Old Harry Face."

"Old Harry Face."
 
On July15th, I had to go to Urgent Care... not to be confused with Emergency Care... because it is less expensive, fewer people are piled up on you, and you actually do get great care in this Urgent Care.  I tell you this because this was the last time I shaved... I think.  I really don't remember a whole lot of things that happened to me from that date on because my heart was kicking the living day lights out of me: The "Widow Maker" was once again blocked and trying to push me through death's door.  This was my 4th time to face down the "Widow Maker."  Many folks don't make it past encounter one, with this  crazy but important artery, but God still has me here, and-- oh-- by the way-- did I tell  you I now have a beard. (For Now.)
 
You may ask, what in the world does having a beard have to do with the heart.  Now that's a good question.  Hopefully I can make a little sense out of it for you:  In the Old Testament the Nasserites were men who grew beards to show their covenantal relationship with the Almighty.  They were people under vow to God, and they would not trim their beard while living in this state of being.  By the way.  I am NOT a Nazarite.
 
However, this heart experience is perhaps one of the greatest multiple challenges I have ever faced.  My self propelled lawn mower literally pulled me (and me coughing every step of the way) so as to get  to the back yard. This  got me to a place where TLOML could help me get some Nitro-Glycerin in me.  Because I do not want to graduate to glory without TLOML by my side, she took me to Urgent Care.  The team there was fabulous... especially one particular nurse whom I have known for years.  As she treated me, she greeted TLOML and me, and she gave me a great big hug.  It felt real good, and her hug gave me great comfort.  I do not think I would have received any such tender loving care in the ER.  Nitro was the med of the day and next couple of weeks. From there I went to the hospital, who had already started preparing a room for me, which I did not take.  Later I got a private room. 
 
The rest is a blur:  A couple more heart episodes knocked my socks off. Each episode left me with a lower ejection fraction and bruises  in my right arm that still appears quite a bit purple.  Because I had already been on anti-coagulant, I had to wait for 6 days to get it out of my system.  So, though I needed emergency surgery, I could not have it until I would not bleed out on the table.  I had to have a come to Jesus meeting with Jesus regarding what was going on, and He made it clear that He was going to heal me.  He also made it clear to me that His grace is indeed sufficient for me because His power really is perfected in my weakness. Guess who had to stay on a nitro-glycerin drip?  Wonderful people came by.  Fabulous people committed to prayer.  One child like prayer-- from a very special little boy-- helped seal the deal for me. And God's joy took over my life.
 
Though I was weak, I cannot tell you how much it meant to be able to share Jesus and God's love for and with the Nurses and Clinical Staff.  I had some moments that folks would call "bad."  However, the power of God came on me to thank God for all things and in all things... especially the things most folks complain about.  As a matter of fact,  I made a commitment to the Lord to praise Him the moment I heard myself voice a complaint.  No matter how great the pain, I was committed to telling those young nurses and clinical support staff how proud I am of them.  And you know what?  I never had any difficulty getting quick supportive care.  Because, in spite of my deep character flaws, God gave me grace to love people whose job it is to love people. He gave me grace (in my weakness) to thank the very ones who hurt me while trying to help me.   Keep in mind this is a miracle in the works, and it has zero to do with how good a man I am. I don't see myself as that great of a man. I wish I were a MUCH better man.
 
It seems the staff was deeply surprised how quickly I was and am recovering.  But this is because Almighty God answered your prayers, especially children's prayers.  I am here today because "God told me"  I would be here today.  I am here today because the GREAT Physician used a pyramid/myriad of people to keep me here today... especially TLOML.  Y'all keep praying now, yah hear?
 
Sure the hero to most people is the surgeon who gets paid real big bucks for doing what surgeons do.  But I have grown a beard (not as thick as it use to be) because I wanted to remind myself that THE POWERFUL CREATOR GOD decided to keep me here for a while longer. I believe the Surgeon tops the pyramid,  but he is not the healer or the team of healers.  That Surgeon is standing on some strong shoulders of some faithful saints of God. Undergirding that Surgeon are so many prayer warriors that prayed a simple prayer for healing... some not so simple.  That Surgeon stands a top the support of my family and my friends.  He is standing on  a foundation of, Men and women of God, PA's, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Clinical Support Staff and custodians.  I am here because of God, all of you who read this today who showed me love and prayed for me. And I am here because the Surgeon knows how to use a talent God gave him... the ability to do surgery.
 
I am thinking that if I told this surgeon these things, he might feel that I am a bit Crazy giving God and others--besides him and including him --credit.  He might even think I am a bit whacked for not whacking off my beard just to get to tell this story.  He may not even have any time for such "foolishness."  That's okay.  Even if I don't get to tell him, and he does not listen, you know how I feel about you all.  And God Knows.  That's all that matters. Thank God!  Thank You!
 
Just call me "Old Harry Face!"  Keep praying,  and know God really does love you... NO MATTER WHAT!!!
 
Someday we will face death.  Jesus conquered it for us. One day each one of us will cross over,   and it will be a wonderful day, when that day arrives.   I really don't know when my day will be.  But this "Old Harry Face" does know this.  Jesus has gone and prepared a place for me, and if He has gone and prepared a place for me, He will come again and receive me to Himself... that where He is I will also be. So today His peace He leaves with me.  His peace He gives to me.  AND it is the kind of peace that gives me sufficient grace to let not my heart be troubled neither afraid. I am praying you feel the same way. I am praying you know Jesus -- the Great Physician -- up close and personal.  If you do know Him, you will be glad you have such a precious relationship.
 
Now Go On Out And Be Blessed Today
Especially Today
 
SoJourner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American & "Pride"

We Can Be So Much More.

W A T C H O U T ! ! ! JESUS TEACHING ON LEADERS