HEART TALK: B R E A T H E ! ! !


Heart Talk:  BREATHE!!!

Most of my life I have had some challenges with breathing.  As a child, my Dad and Mum described my breathing as sounding like a steam engine.  And I can really remember struggling for breath.  As I got older, Vietnam was raging, and I received a draft notice.  Most asthmatics were not qualified to serve in the military; however, my family Doctor was of the mindset that the running would be good for me.  So, in 1970, I found myself in “boot” camp… with asthma… attempting to run. 

The U.S. Air Force had adopted a new program to teach people to run based on aerobics points.  The program was developed by the now famous Dr. Kenneth Cooper. I followed the plan, and before long I could run (not jog) a mile.  Then I could run a mile and a half.  Eventually I learned to enjoy running, competing and… oh yeah… really breathing.  I was not the fastest runner, but enjoyed it.  And my asthma for all intents and purposes was gone. I could really breathe!  I was “becoming” someone I had never been before.

I will never forget the first time I ran 10 miles, accidentally:  I usually trained at 4 to 6 miles to stay in shape, and I did weight training.  But on this particular day, I started running from our home at Patrick Air Force Base, and I blew passed my normal turn around spot.  My lungs were filled with air, and my heart was beating well.  I felt as exhilarated as Forrest Gump!  So I kept running until I was 5 miles away from home.  I got to thinking to myself, “Self you are eventually going to have to get back to the house.”  And since I was 5 miles away, I figured I might run out of gas before getting home.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  The more I ran the better I felt, and I actually sprinted the last part of the 10 miles in.  Breathing was easy.

Some years later I remember having my breathing challenged.  Besides my running and weight training, I enrolled in Carlyss Crowley’s aerobics class at the base gym at San Vito Air Station.  Carlyss was the original Iron Woman.  Once I figured out the routine, I worked hard to keep up with her upbeat and high powered aerobic pace.  We worked hard and breathing was hard.  No sooner did I feel like slowing down a bit, and Carlyss would yell,
BREATHE!!!!!...Which I gladly did.  No sooner had she shocked me into deeper breathing than I discovered I could actually do more.  The breath of life just took me over, and I BECAME stronger and able to do more than I could have imagined.

Fast Forward to a few days ago:  For the first time in my life, I could not breathe on my own.  I was having open heart surgery, and my breathing was done for me (assisting me to breathe) by means of a machine.  I am so glad I was unconscious at the time.  But, when I woke up, I was tied to the bed, and I still had this thing helping me breathe.  I am grateful for the grace of God because this was an unpleasant experience… in spite of the tender loving care I was receiving. Breathing is a VERY big deal, but breathing with the help of a machine is not something I enjoy a whole lot.

Way back in history our original parent had an experience that changed us all.  God breathed in to “man” and he “became” a “living soul.” God’s eternal breath miraculously changed us and changes us.  It makes us “living souls.”   The air we breathe out is breathed in by other parts of  God’s creation which breathe back to us the oxygen we need to live and become. This is good to know, and one thing I have learned through all of this is to “Be Still and know God,” by simply breathing in the breath of life He gives me.  Yup! I just sit still, reflect on the name of Jesus----relax---- breathe in slowly---- and breathe out slowly.  With each breath I trust my Creator to help me become, even in the state I find myself today… recovering from some major surgery.  

Guess What?  In the stillness of just being with my Lord, Jesus, I become that new creation that God promises me I will be.  He really does restore my soul and leads me in the paths of righteous.  Being in this place of being is not depressing,  as some could (and I could),  potentially be. More times than not it becomes a Sanctuary.  It really is amazing what can happen, if we let things go and simply…

BREATHE

Do Me A Favor.  Will You?

Go Be Blessed Today

Especially Today

SoJourner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American & "Pride"

We Can Be So Much More.

W A T C H O U T ! ! ! JESUS TEACHING ON LEADERS