To Offend Or Not To Offend... Now That's A Good Question:

Some friends and I had a live discussion on Face book about the Golden Rule and also when it is appropriate to offend.  Thanks C and D for the interaction.  It's so good to have friends like you.

*****
C. Surely our A. wasn't afraid to offend anyone.

SoJourner: I don't like offending anyone, and I try to treat everyone with by the Golden Rule. But sometimes it does happen.


********
 

C: Al, we love you. I understand living by the Golden Rule but isn't it time that all Christians spoke up. They've taken prayers out of our schools and look at what's happened. They've tried to take God out of everything in our daily lives. Our government has done this, regardless of who is in office. Like many others, I am unhappy with our political parties, yet we live in the greatest country on this planet.

******

D: I know what your saying about offending, but The Holy Bible offends...its sharper then a two edged sword,...the presence of Jesus offended the scribes, pharisees, saducees, and others (thus he was crucified)....all that are living a life contrary to Gods word are offended by it because it makes them feel condemed. How can one be saved until he realizes he is lost? The Word of God gives us strength and peace and comfort ...it teaches us about Love and kindness...but it must also be a tool for correction when we walk contrary to His Will....Considering the cunning and malice of Satan, and the weakness and depravity of men's hearts, it is not possible but that there should be offences. God permits them for wise and holy ends, that those who are sincere, and those who are not, may be made known...We have to stand for God and America even at the expense of offending someone.

********

SoJourner
You are not getting any argument out of me. I have, many times, been the last man standing and paid for it for standing for Jesus and what is right. When you are a Christ Follower and not just a believer, it costs. Since much of my ministry is smack dab in the middle of the world and not in the safe cozy confines of a church building, I know what it means to stand up... even if it offends. I simply believe that Speaking the truth in love and seeking to apply the Golden rule are both primary when being a Christ Follower.


SoJourner  We can speak the truth in love, apply the Golden Rule and stand up for the truth that sets folks free. I just don't believe that these always have to be mutually exclusive. Will folks get offended? I have few comments: 

First, when we are the light of the world, people will be automactically either drawn to the light or hate the light. Hence, two folks standing side by side could react differently. One could have their life changed. The other could throw a rock at you and be offended. The offense is in the eye of the beholder. 

Second, when i shine the light, I can shine it as a lamp for their feet and a light for there path. This will help them find THE WAY! OR I could shine the light in their eyes and hurt them... making them fall. The offense is in the one holding  or  the one shining the light. 

Finally, we all answer to God.  We will all stand before God in Judgement one day. So I ask myself, "Self will I uncover the light for folks to see it and experience the Salvation of The Lord?" OR.. "Will I cover it up so that they don't get a chance to come to the light... OR... will I shine it in their eyes blinding them and helping them to be offended."  I have 3 choices. But God is the "Eternal Decider."

In other words, we all will stand before the Judgement Seat Of Christ. Will This Eternal Decider say "Well done my good and faithful servant?" or not? 

So here is where I am coming from: We must absolutely incorporate Jesus teachings, if we are shining his light appropriately, whether it offends or does not. Because ultimately we answer to God. Sooooo...we need to be good stewards of what HE has given us. WHEW! Sorry for bloviating so much:0}  BTW. I love you too.

I Really Do Appreciate C & D Comenting

       What Say Ye Christ Follower?
                      SoJourner


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American & "Pride"

We Can Be So Much More.

W A T C H O U T ! ! ! JESUS TEACHING ON LEADERS