HE GRADUATED

In the past several days, he graduated.  In fact he has graduated quite a few times.  Reportedly he graduated from high school... but barely... or so he told me :o)  Then while serving at San Vito Dei Normanii Areo Stationi, he graduated, receiving a 2 year degree... then a 4 year degree... then a Master's Degree.  Actually in the entire history of this Air Base (It is closed now) he is the only person to do this.  And he earned each degree by discipline, hard work and study. 

Now this is important. I am talking about a graduation that is different: This time he did not earn the graduation.  Although he was about as good a man as I have ever met, he did not rely on his work ethic to receive the privilege of this graduation. Oh yes he loved about as much as any person I have known.  He loved his beloved, Miwha (and his newly adopted children) until the day he graduated. Still does. He gave even the "shirt off is back" to you, if he thought you needed it.  He came from the "old school" where his word was his bond.  If he told you something, you could count on it.  He was not much on pretense, either.  What you saw in him is what you got.  Some liked this about Charlie.  Some did not.  If you were his friend, you were a friend for life.  In fact, just a few days before his graduation, he called me to tell me he had  a heart attack, but he did not want me to worry.  Because of that call I was blessed with the opportunity to tell him, one more time "I love you, Charlie." I had no clue that he would be traveling on in just a few hours.

I mentioned San Vito: He and his beloved Miwha were key to the success of our Chapel ministry  there. Charlie even helped me set up a couple of retreats for our men's groups.  I believe he did this for other Chaplains long before I arrived there. Yes, Charlie did NOT graduate to glory because of his works, but he did so because he was and still is a Christ Follower.  He and his beloved Miwha... know Jesus.

In parts of this blog, I have spoken  of this "Saint" (One declared righteous by God through faith in Jesus) as if he exists in the past.  Gotta stop that.  He is still alive and well as a part of that "great cloud of witnesses" (See Hebrews 12:1ff) who are cheering us on from glory.  I have tasted of that place a little myself. So I know it is real.  I know just how close this other dimension we call Heaven really is.  Yup!  Charlie has run his race, finished his course, is absent from this body and present with the Lord.  He has graduated from The Church Militant to the Church Triumphant!

So why am I writing this?  That's a good question.  Maybe I am writing this because I have had 3 heart attacks and I have learned how important it is to give each day to God and live one day at a time, seeking first God's Kingdom and HIS righteousness above all else???  [And because of my deep abiding love for them, I have tried to communicate this core value of mine to my loved ones.]  Maybe  its because my experiences with death to life have taught me just how easy it is to depart this place we call earth in a moment and twinkling of an eye, when it is least expected??? Maybe I am wanting to emphasize to all you - world wide -  who read this blog (people I love like family, friends -- and people I do not even know nor will ever meet) to please make your "calling and election sure" above all else??? Maybe its because I have just let go of another friend to our blessed LORD, and I miss him? (There are getting to be more family, friends and loved ones graduating daily than ever before.) Maybe I wanted to provide Charlie with a tribute??? Maybe its because I have tasted of a little bit of Heaven, and I have some sense of the absolute Love, Joy, Peace and compassion into which Charlie has now graduated???  [See attached "I Can Only Imagine" video above] Maybe it is because of everything I have stated above??? I really don't know for sure, but God's love has certainly compelled me to write this today.

Whatever your station in life, please listen to what I am about to say: You may have little or have a lot.  You may be highly educated or have minimal education.  You may be a powerful person or have no power at all.  Get ready to graduate!  The opportunity to do so may come unexpectedly as it did for my friend Charlie.  We really do NOT have tomorrow guaranteed this side of Heaven, but we have an eternity of tomorrows, if we deny ourselves, take up Jesus Cross and follow HIM.

Be Blessed 2day... Especially 2day...
It is the only one guaranteed this side of Heaven.

See You Later Charlie...
On The Other Side.

SoJourner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American & "Pride"

We Can Be So Much More.

W A T C H O U T ! ! ! JESUS TEACHING ON LEADERS